Monday, October 17, 2011

Okay, so if you're paying attention, you'll know what I mean when I say this is the kind of day where the writing was like a big, fat, angry slice that loops deep, deep into the woods to the right, gone. Wrote for shit. But that's not the end of the world because, well, this is America and we have lots and lots of ways to pass a shitty day. I am so glad I'm not a Visigoth: they had like one thing going on -- invade shit -- and the rest was all just lonely, frustrating downtime. I read a little Flannery O'Connor (because I like to be able to say things like, "Oh, I'm reading Flannery O'Connor" and watch people's eyes glaze over), I perused some news of the world (dumb fucking world), played a little sudoku to keep my mind sharp for my golden years (fuck you, Alzheimer's), got some Chinese food and have spent the last couple hours watching episodes of Louie. I don't know what you're doing right now, and unless you're my daughter, who should be finishing her homework, I don't really give a shit, here's what you should be doing: watch Louie. Louie is the brilliant sitcom featuring Louis C.K., who might be the second smartest guy to ever speak extensively about his own masturbation habits. He is easily the funniest. I saw one episode last year sometime, and recently my friends Chili and Peaches, independent of each other, told me about another episode they'd seen, so I pulled up the Hulu (because I am poor and I live in a cave without an actual television) and watched. That was last week. I loved it. So tonight with no pep, no zing, no unbridled enthusiasm, I decided to pick my way through the series to date (he's in the midst of season two now), and holy shit is this a good show. It's not just that it's funny, believe me. I mean, yeah, Louie's character is your typical fumbling mess who finds himself perpetually in the midst of awkward moments often not of his own making but, shit, he's a bit of a clod, so ultimately isn't everything a little bit his fault? Aside from that, though, the show features these smart, unexpectedly touching exchanges that, unless you're a heartless prick, give one pause to consider some of life's more complex questions. I don't want to ruin the experience by telling you too much -- just watch the goddamned show. You won't regret it, unless you're a bland, humorless person who takes everything personally and you're only happy when you're critiquing somebody else's bad behavior or, like, tattling on somebody. Watch it. It's on FX, too, but I don't know when, so you'll have to do your own legwork if it's that important to you to actually watch it on your television. Go do it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment